hi i LOVE birds of prey like barn owls and kestrals and hawks do i need a licensce to keep them and where can i get them from i live in england uk and i am 12

    0  Views: 889 Answers: 3 Posted: 8 years ago

    3 Answers

    In the UK, out of the three species you mentioned, only hawks must be registered.
    The homepage of The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals states: "If you know which species is being kept, or want further information about whether birds should be registered, then contact Defra on 0117 372 8774"
    Defra will probably will be able to tell you where you can get such birds and registrations.

    At the age of 12, it may be better for you to go to a wildlife rehabilitatior and volunteer to assist with the care of these birds, gain experience first, so that you will know exactly what is required to keep them. 


    I had another thought on this, why don't you get a guide on building nest boxes for these specific species. This way, you can contribute to their well-being, without them actually being pets. (they would not or should not even be considered captive) But by installing the nest boxes in correct places, you would increase their survival and make life a bit easier for them, and attract them to your area and you could watch them from a comfortable distance for them...

    Top contributors in Birds category

    Answers: 68 / Questions: 3
    Karma: 3855
    Answers: 27 / Questions: 0
    Karma: 2790
    Answers: 22 / Questions: 0
    Karma: 1950
    country bumpkin
    Answers: 19 / Questions: 0
    Karma: 1950
    > Top contributors chart

    Unanswered Questions

    Answers: 0 Views: 3 Rating: 0
    > More questions...