I have a 401K from a past employer and am considering rolling over to an alternate retirement account. What would my best option in choosing another plan or staying with my current account.

    +1  Views: 190 Answers: 2 Posted: 11 years ago

    2 Answers

    If you have a good full service broker, I'd consider moving your 401K to him.  You can roll your 401K into a Rollover IRA.  Please make sure that you open a separate IRA account from this rollover position, the reason being that in many states there are benefits tax-wise when you make the withdrawal as compared to a Tradtional IRA.  If you comingle the rollover amount with your other IRA accounts, you could very well have eliminated any tax benefits you may have.

    Your new broker can presumably guide you through your asset allocation based on your risk tolerance, age, etc.  A company's 401K specialist would be less inclined to help with your specific investments.  Ask around to see if you can interview some brokers. 

    Chiangmai said it all. Find a broker first and roll it over to IRA.

    Top contributors in Uncategorized category

    Answers: 18064 / Questions: 154
    Karma: 1101K
    Answers: 47271 / Questions: 115
    Karma: 953K
    country bumpkin
    Answers: 11323 / Questions: 160
    Karma: 838K
    Answers: 2393 / Questions: 30
    Karma: 760K
    > Top contributors chart

    Unanswered Questions

    Dynamics NAV Support
    Answers: 0 Views: 7 Rating: 0
    Contact Gmail Nederland
    Answers: 0 Views: 62 Rating: 0
    Is Donald Trump heading for Gaol...?????????
    Answers: 0 Views: 6 Rating: 0
    whai is local citation
    Answers: 0 Views: 10 Rating: 0
    Interiorismo industrial en Barcelona
    Answers: 0 Views: 11 Rating: 0
    Answers: 0 Views: 14 Rating: 0
    Are you Need Help in Writing all Assignments?
    Answers: 0 Views: 68 Rating: 0
    > More questions...