From Wikipedia, the freeencyclopediaads not by this site
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Love (disambiguation).
Archetypal lovers Romeo and Juliet portrayed by Frank Dicksee
Love is an emotion of a strong affection and personal attachment. Love is also a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection; and "the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another". Love may also be described as actions towards others or oneself based on compassion, or as actions towards others based on affection.
In English, love refers to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes, ranging from pleasure ("I loved that meal") to interpersonal attraction ("I love my partner"). "Love" may refer specifically to the passionate desire and intimacy of romantic love, to the sexual love of eros, to the emotional closeness of familial love, to the platonic love that defines friendship, or to the profound oneness or devotion of religious love. This diversity of uses and meanings, combined with the complexity of the feelings involved, makes love unusually difficult to consistently define, compared to other emotional states.
Love in its various forms acts as a major facilitator of interpersonal relationships and, owing to its central psychological importance, is one of the most common themes in the creative arts.
Love may be understood as part of the survival instinct, a function to keep human beings together against menaces and to facilitate the continuation of the species.
|1 year ago. Rating: 8|
I think there are different kinds of love, the kind you have for your mum and family is different to that you have with your spouse or partner, different again is that love you feel for your children, you may love them all, but in very different ways, I also love porridge (oatmeal) but not in quite the same way as I do my husband.........oooh hard choice
|1 year ago. Rating: 4|
A love-poem I wrote as a very young man began with the lines:
Agape, Eros or Caritas?
The beast awakes, and demands his due!
Pity is aching to love, alas.
My lady, what love may I offer you?
To your soft pink lips and your crisp red hair,
To your shabby coat, and your tattered purse ...
You would not preen, could my eyes declare
What they most admire. Am I so perverse?
I took then, and take now, some pride in those eight lines, but the poem obviously needs development, and I was never able to come up with anything of comparable quality. So I never presented it to the lady, which is probably just as well. She was gainfully employed, where I worked, but she lived very poorly, because she was having to look after her senile, obese and crippled mother, who ought to have been put down years before I ever met her.
The love-gift I would have most liked to give her (and surely the one that would have done her most good) would have been to slay her ancient parent, and damn the risk; but she was a good girl, and I knew better than to ask.
|11 months ago. Rating: 4|
In a classic book titled Colors of Love (1973), J. A. Lee defined six varieties of relationship that might be labeled love.
1. Eros is romantic, passionate, love—what Tennov labeled limerence. In this type of relationship, love is life's most important thing. Lee said a search for physical beauty or an ideal type also typifies this type of love.
2. Ludus is a game-playing or uncommitted love. Lying is part of the game. A person who pursues ludic love may have many conquests but remains uncommitted.
3. Storge (STORE-gay) is a slow developing, friendship-based loved. People with this type of relationship like to participate in activities together. Often storge results in a long-term relationship in which sex might not be very intense or passionate.
4. Pragma is a pragmatic, practical, mutually beneficial relationship. It may be somewhat unromantic. A person who leans toward this type of relationship may look for a partner at work or where the person is spending time. Sex is likely to be seen as a technical matter needed for producing children, if they are desired.
5. Mania is an obsessive or possessive love, jealous and extreme. A person in love this way is likely to do something crazy or silly, such as stalking. The movie Fatal Attraction was about this type.
6. Agape (a-GOP-aye) is a gentle, caring, giving type of love, brotherly love, not concerned with the self. It is relatively rare. Mother Theresa showed this kind of love for impoverished people.
|11 months ago. Rating: 4|
Love is the meaning of life. Without love we die. Within the first 24 hours of a human beings life if it is not held it will die. We must feel connected, wanted, cherished, important, and all that is a small part of love. We are social creatures, with intelligence and feelings that crave reciprocation. Love encourages us, motivates us, excites us, and helps us to forge on. Real love is a lengthly lesson for most people, but if you are not completely self-absorbed, you will learn and know love in your life and then you can try to explain the meaning of it. Love is Godsfrosting on His cake of Life.
|1 year ago. Rating: 3|